Sunday, May 2, 2010

Technological Utopia

     Over ten years ago I was finishing up my education and seeking employment. During one  interview I was asked "If you could do just one thing to educate children, what would you do?" [ There were no constraints, kind of like I had a fairy godmother on my shoulder with a magic wand.].  I told the interviewer I would give each child a laptop computer and travel the world with them .  Fast forward to 2010.  A NY Times article on April 18,2010 discussed  organizations  moving in that direction.
     One Laptop Per Child (O.L.P.C.) is a nonprofit group with a big ambition, equip 2 billion children in developing countries with his/her own computer. Microsoft is a little more practical, developing a product called Multipoint. It ads multiple cursors to one computer each controlled by a separate mouse. Intel has Classmate PC.
      Kentaro Toyama, formerly with Microsoft, now doing research at Berkley, calls it "technological utopianism".  Of course the road is bumpy with problems, such as infrastructure, limited electricity, and cost.
Matt Keller , V.P. for global advocacy at the O.L.P.C. Foundation is a beacon of light and has some moving stories to tell about villages who have received laptops. He is lobbying for funding from U.S. arguing literacy skills and access to information are prerequisites for economic and political growth.
     I can't help but wonder if a version of my vision will come to pass in time for me to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment